I am a self-proclaimed book fiend. Children's literature holds a special place in my heart - I think it is because my mother is an avid book lover herself and taught me from very early on to love classic, well-written children's literature.
Beautiful, enriching illustrations are just a part of the draw of a wonderful children's story, and so most of the books we review here will have gorgeous drawings.
You will not find any lackluster books on this blog. No vulgar Dora, Spongebob or Disney.
We believe in books that beautify the experience of growing up and learning.


Friday, December 3, 2010

Hurry! Hurry! Have You Heard? by Laura Krauss Melmed

This sweet, poetic book is new to us this year. But I knew it would be a goodie just for the illustrations. Jane Dyer is one of my favorite illustrators. 


Hurry! Hurry! Have You Heard? May not be the most theologically sound Christmas book, but it's nothing that will harm the piglet's view of Christmas. And, unlike many other cute Christmas books, it centers around the birth of Christ and that makes it worth the read to me.

Animals throughout the forest are beckoned, by a little birdie, to the birthplace of Jesus on the night he is born. They go to bring Him gifts and rejoice in His birth.

It's not necessarily the actual Christmas story but it ties in the birth of Jesus with some animal fantasy. Some may put this book aside because it isn't true to the biblical account. I don't see any harm in adding a bit of whimsy to our beloved story.

No comments:

Post a Comment