I am a self-proclaimed book fiend. Children's literature holds a special place in my heart - I think it is because my mother is an avid book lover herself and taught me from very early on to love classic, well-written children's literature.
Beautiful, enriching illustrations are just a part of the draw of a wonderful children's story, and so most of the books we review here will have gorgeous drawings.
You will not find any lackluster books on this blog. No vulgar Dora, Spongebob or Disney.
We believe in books that beautify the experience of growing up and learning.


Thursday, January 6, 2011

Owl at Home by Arnold Lobel


 Owl at Home is a collection of five early reader stories that keep a smile on your face. Owl is a quirky old bachelor (he kind of reminds me of my neighbor...shhh...) who is a little bit clueless. Scared of his own feet, wanting to be upstairs and downstairs at the same time, makes tea out of his own tears. Quite the opposite of the 'wise old owl' we are so accustomed to meeting in stories.

Beck isn't quite ready to start reading this one on his own but he's really enjoying having it as a read-aloud. It's best read in the cold winter months and you can see why with illustrations like these:

No comments:

Post a Comment